BASIX (the Building Sustainability Index)
A BASIX certificate ensures that new and upgraded homes across the State produce fewer greenhouse gas emissions and reduce water consumption, by setting energy and water reduction targets for all new dwellings. A Basix Certificate forms part of the documentation to be submitted when lodging a development application, or an application for a complying development certificate:
- to building a new home or residential development;
- to create a new dwelling entitlement on the land (for example a granny flat);
- to change the use of an existing building from a non-residential use to a residential use;
- where the renovations are likely to cost more than $50,000; or
- to build a swimming pool of more than 40,000 litres.